October 17 2017 – AFTER taking up the assault case of a SA model allegedly assaulted by Zimbabwean first lady Grace Mugabe, head of AfriForum’s private prosecuting unit, Advocate Gerrie Nel says that the c group has instituted legal action to prosecute President Jacob Zuma’s son, Duduzane.
“We have helped the Dube family to submit an application for a nolle prosequi certificate earlier this morning, to prosecute Mr Duduzane Zuma on a charge of culpable homicide,” Nel told journalists in Pretoria.
The certificate must be issued by the Director of Public Prosecutions, as a prerequisite for a private prosecution as it indicates that the State will not pursue the case.
The case relates to a car accident on February 1, 2014 on the M1 highway in Gauteng in which Duduzane was involved. A young Zimbabwean female passenger, Phumzile Dube, who was a passenger in the taxi, was killed in the accident.
Dube’s husband Themba, was quoted by SA media at the time, criticising the young Zuma for not contacting the family or offering to help pay for her funeral.
“Zuma killed my wife and I want justice,” Dube newspapers then. “It doesn’t matter whether he is the President’s son – justice doesn’t have eyes. Everybody is equal before the law.”
The National Prosecuting Authority, in August 2015, decided not to prosecute Duduzane, despite the findings of an inquest that the President’s son was negligent in the accident.
“He failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner under the circumstances,” Randburg Magistrate’s Court Magistrate Lolita Chetty said at the time.
Duduzane’s car rear-ended Jabulani Vusi Dlamini’s minibus taxi on the M1 South off-ramp to Grayston Drive in Sandton. Dube was killed and three other passengers were injured.
During the inquest, Zuma said he lost control of his Porsche after it hit a puddle in rainy conditions. – ANA